Sunday, October 4, 2009

Utah is not how they paint it.

We we warned when we came out here all about those Aloof Distant Clannish UTAH Mormons. We were told that there was this HUGE waiting list to work at the Salt Lake Temple. Bishops have so many members in their ward that they have to make up callings.....

NOT!

I flew to Utah to work from the new office for a week and take some time to find a place to live out here. I found this place on a mountainside just south of the 215 loop, on a bench that overlooks the valley. It was determined that this place was part of the Brighton 3rd Ward, Salt Lake City Brighton Stake....I was concerned that there would be no one there to help me move in.

Turns out I had an ICD implanted just a week prior to my drive across the plains...so with one arm in a sling, I could drive, but not toss boxes around. I had called and talked to one of the bishop's counselors a couple of weeks before..There were 15 High Priests there to unpack the truck. I was impressed. Each of them had a handshake and a smile for me. Its been like coming home.

They have welcomed us with open arms.

We live at the South end of the Salt Lake Temple district, and we knew that our friends, Mike and Barbara Barker worked there on Tuesday Night, so we attended a session on a Tuesday evening, when they were scheduled. I found out at least part of why Heavenly Father wanted us here.

In the prayer that is part of the endowment session, the brother was pleading with the Lord for Ordinance Workers, particularly MALE Ordinance workers. This time I did not need a hammer over the head....I just said...YES, Father...got it..and went and got the paperwork to have our local priesthood leaders submit for the calling.

When we went to visit our bishop, he extended a calling for us to work with the 30 plus singles in the ward...another cherished illusion down the drain. Its a big stake initiative, not a made up calling.

With Ruth's arthritic hips and knees, working in the temple is a challenge for her. I am having the time of my life. I fancied myself an actor at one point in my life, and actually made a little (well, very little) money as an actor before doing radio. I believe I have found a series of roles that are not just roles of a lifetime, but of an eternity. I qualifed for a very minor part my last week of work, and was told that I would be presenting (we don't act or perform in the temple, we teach) that role on Saturday Afternoons for the month of October.

What a great blessing to be able to finally give a return on a talent that He gave me! I feel unworthy, but am grateful for the experience.

No comments: